I have had this serious sushi craving lately! Or, at least a need for those flavors that go along with it. (like soy sauce, ginger and wasabi) Anyone else have this problem?
I don’t know what it is about that flavor combination, it’s just so perfect! It’s got that whole Unami (a pleasant savory taste) thing going on.
Since going out for sushi does not fit into my schedule this week, I made this yummy salad to munch on for the next few days.
This salad is perfect to pack for your weekday lunch. It is light yet filling and packed with protein and healthy carbs to keep you fueled throughout the day.
And I incorporated those Unami flavors to satisfy that craving. For now, anyways! My sushi day will come.
Japanese Cabbage Salad with Chicken, Edamame and Wasabi Soy Almonds:
- 1/2 small head green cabbage chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 3 green onions fine sliced
- 1 cup cooked shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup wasabi soy almonds, rough chopped (blue diamond almonds)
Place above ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing to coat.
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Place dressing ingredients in a jar with tight lid and shake to combine. Pour over salad above and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and a couple of cherry tomatoes for color.